Sunday, July 17, 2011

Does my school have a right to ask for my parents income tax returns?

I'm going to Kent State University. My EFC is above my 'financial need'. All that I expect to get is a parent PLUS loan. The school won't even tell me whether I have any scholarships or anything pending if I turn in my parents W-2s and tax returns. I don't think they have the right to ask for this stuff considering the circumstances. It's really none of their business what my parents spend their money on. Is there a way to find out whether I have anything pending? Also, are there any rights I have regarding privacy to not give them the tax returns? I tried emailing the financial aid counselor and they don't know a damn thing. Honestly they get salaries??!! BS!! They told me to use the online scholarship search tool which comes up with random **** like scholarships for people whose parents work for certain companies or who have financial need. They tried telling me that most of the scholarships were merit based. WOW they haven't even looked at the site before obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment