Thursday, July 21, 2011

Do bathtub refinishing kits really work? I'm trying to remodel my bathroom and am thinking of refinishing my?

They work, but they have limitations and don't give an exact equivalent of a porcelain finish. My experience is with refinishing an old porcelain tub with Klenk's epoxy. It came out looking quite nice. But you must be careful what you clean the new finish with. It's not as sturdy as the original porcelain and you can't use abrasives like Comet. It can pick up stains. Mine picked up a couple from hair dye, and also when I was dyeing something at the bathroom sink. A bit of dye powder floated over to the tub, so little I didn't notice it until it had gotten damp and dyed the tub rim with coloured speckles. My refinishing job lasted about 5 years before parts started to come off, around the drain at first, then along the curve of the bottom. I don't know whether I prepped those areas insufficently, or what, but a neighbour of mine had roughly the same experience. I don't know if professional refinishing is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment