Sunday, July 17, 2011

This bruise has become HUGE! Should I see a doctor?

Three days ago I slipped going down the stairs with a basket of laundry in my arms. (We have no step railings, as my husband removed them as part of a remodel and hasn't put in new ones..) I fell hard..no doubt about it...mostly hitting my outer right thigh on the step. At first, I had only a large knot, but it began to bruise the next day and has been growing in size every since. I no longer have a hard lump on my thigh, but my bruise is at least 12 inches long and 6 inches wide, extending from near my hip bone to about an inch above my knee. Its width covers most of the back of my thigh and extends toward the front about one inch away from the center of the front of my thigh. The color is purple/black today, with lots of light spots throughout. I'm hoping this isn't serious and will resolve itself over time, but I'm a little concerned that I should have a doc check it out, just in case. My concern is that my blood vessels are still bleeding, since the bruise continues to grow. Any insight would be appreciated, especially from someone in the medical field who'd be "in the know." Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment